Thursday, January 10, 2013

Audience of One


I’m a fairly introverted person until I get comfortable with new acquaintances. But as a writer, there is a part of me that desires to be known. While I have no desire to keep up with the ins and outs of the Hollywood jet set, I love to imagine my works of fiction in the libraries of the rich and famous. Presidents. Kings. The beautiful people of the world. I suppose there is a part of me that craves that attention. I know there’s a part of me that desires to share the gospel of Christ with them, and what better way than through an innocuous story about the Old West?

Well, God gave me one of those awe-struck moments today that just took my breath away. While looking anything but beautiful in my mismatched pj’s, fuzzy slippers, and hair still a tangled mass of bedhead curls, I swept the hard-surface floors of my home. As I worked, a praise chorus from long ago bubbled to my lips.

I love you, Lord
And I lift my voice
To worship you
Oh my soul, rejoice.
Take joy, my King
In what You hear.
May it be a sweet, sweet sound
In Your ear.

When I sang “take joy, my King, in what You hear,” it hit me. While I don’t have anything published at the moment, my desire has already been fulfilled. I have the attention of a king, and not just any king. The KING of kings knows my name, and He hangs on every word I speak. He is intimately aware of my writings because I long ago prayed and dedicated that talent to Him.

What more attention could I crave than to be known by the King who wears the Name above every name? Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve (Joshua 24:15). Today, my choice is to write for an audience of One and trust that if He wants me to be known by others, He will open the doors in His perfect time.

1 comment:

  1. This touches a place in my heart that just zings with accord. YES - it's what OUR writing is all about - doing what He's asked us to or brought us to and doing it for HIS GLORY - I LOVE how you said the part of having the audience of THE KING OF KINGS - great post, Jen and one I'll treasure for a very long time!

    ReplyDelete